Call for KDD 2017 Student Travel Award Applications
Updates: to accommodate the notification dates of multiple KDD workshops, we are extending the deadline of student travel award application to June 30th, 2017. Awardees are guaranteed for the early bird rate of registration. Undergraduate students and students who are not KDD authors are welcome to apply!
Thanks to the generous support of the NSF and the ACM SIGKDD, KDD’17 will offer travel awards to full-time student attendees. The purpose of the KDD travel grants is to encourage graduate students to participate in the exciting technical and other career enhancement programs at KDD as well as to increase diversity of the participants at the conference. The allocation of the grants will be based on need and potential impact of the applicant’s attendance in increasing the diversity of the conference participation. Particularly, we will carefully allocate the opportunity for the minority groups and institutions to benefit from this grant to ensure a diverse group of funded participants.
Applications are accepted from full-time students at degree granting institutions. The maximum amount of travel support provided to each grantee is based on the sponsors (NSF and ACM SIGKDD), and they are intended to partially cover the grantee’s travel costs including registration, airfare, and lodging.
All full-time students interested in data mining, data science, machine learning, and related research are encouraged to apply. Decisions will be made based on merit and need. Other criteria will include acceptance of publication at KDD 2017 and evidence of KDD 2017 registration, although not required. Importantly, SIGKDD encourages participation of women and underrepresented minorities, as well as participation of students from under-represented institutions. If you believe this applies to you, please specify in your application. Submission deadline: 11:59PM PDT, June 30, 2017
How to submit an application:
Apply at the Easychair site of KDD’17: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=kdd2017. Select the track of “Student Travel Award”. To complete the application:
- Please input the applicant’s information as Author 1 and the advisor of the applicant as Author 2.
- Please write down the applicant’s full name in the field “Title.”
- If you have a paper accepted at KDD 2017 main conference or one of its workshops, please include the list of authors, title, and track/workshop of the paper(s) in the field “Abstract.”
- If you are the presenter a tutorial at KDD 2017, please specify the title of the tutorial in the field “Abstract.”
- In the same “Abstract” field, please also specify if you belong to the group of women, underrepresented minorities, or other underrepresented groups.
- Please upload a brief statement under (as a single PDF file) that includes:
- applicant’s current status (including institution, type of graduate study (PhD or MS), number of years entering the current program etc.)
- applicant’s research interest and current accomplishments, and their future research plans,
- a description of how the grant will help them with their research plans,
- title, authors, and track of the potentially accepted KDD’17 paper(s),
- any information that the applicant feels relevant for supporting their application,
- their total budget for attending KDD’17, and how the travel award can help close the gap for attending KDD’17 (as the award will only partially cover the cost).
Please upload a recommendation letter from the applicant’s advisor supporting the application, that:
- confirms that the applicant was a student in good standing at the time the application was submitted to KDD,
- describes how the applicant will benefit from attending KDD, and
- explains why the student is in need of the travel award and whether there is funding available to cover the remaining expenses that is not covered by the student travel award.
- Students receiving the travel awards are required to:
- Register and attend the conference.
- Assist the conference organizers in numerous activities during the event days, in total of 8 hours.
- Submit the original invoice up to the amount of the travel award for reimbursement after the conference. (Instructions will be sent later.)
Only PDF documents are accepted. Late submissions, or documents in other formats will not be accepted. All questions should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Qiaozhu Mei (Student Award Chair)