Student Award Applications Invited
SIGKDD 2016 will offer travel awards to full-time student attendees. The purpose of the KDD travel grants is to encourage graduate students to participate in the exciting technical and other career enhancement programs at KDD as well as to increase diversity of the participants at the conference. The allocation of the grants will be based on need and potential impact of the applicant’s attendance in increasing the diversity of the conference participation. Particularly, we will carefully allocate the opportunity for the minority groups and institutions to benefit from this grant to ensure a diverse group of funded participants.
Applications are accepted from full-time students at degree granting institutions. The maximum amount of travel support provided to each grantee is based on the sponsors (NSF and ACM SIGKDD), and they are intended to partially cover the grantee's travel costs including registration, airfare, and lodging.
All full-time students interested in data mining or machine learning research are encouraged to apply. Other criteria will include acceptance of publication at KDD ’16 and evidence of KDD’16 registration. Importantly, SIGKDD encourages participation of women and under-represented minorities, as well as participation of students from under-represented institutions.
How to submit an application:
Submission deadline: 11:59PM PDT, June 17, 2016
Apply at https://cmt3.research.microsoft.com/KDDSTA2016. To complete the application:
- Please write down the applicant’s full name in the CMT form field “Title”.
- Please include a brief statement under (in PDF) that includes:
Note: Please make sure the formatting (indentations, linebreaks, etc.) gets preserved when you copy-paste text into this box from other text editors.
- applicant’s current status (including institution, type of graduate study (PhD or MS), number of years entering the current program etc.)
- applicant’s research interest and current accomplishments, and their future research plans,
- a description of how the grant will help them with their research plans,
- title, authors, and track of the potentially accepted KDD ’16 paper(s),
- any information that the applicant feels relevant for supporting their application,
- their total budget for attending KDD’16, and how the travel award can help close the gap for attending KDD’16 (as the award will only partially cover the cost).
- Please upload a recommendation letter (in PDF) from the applicant’s advisor supporting the application, that:
- confirms that the applicant was a student in good standing at the time the application was submitted to KDD,
- describes how the applicant will benefit from attending KDD, and
- explains why the student is in need of the travel award and whether there is funding available to cover the remaining expenses that is not covered by the student travel award.
- Students receiving the travel awards are required to:
- Assist the conference organizers in numerous activities during the event days.
- Submit the original invoice up to the amount of the travel award for reimbursement after the conference. (Instructions will be sent later.)
Only PDF documents are accepted. Late submissions, or documents in other formats will not be accepted. All questions should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
On behalf of,
Leman Akoglu and Jure Leskovec
(Student Award Chairs)