2017 SIGKDD Dissertation Award nominations are open.
ACM SIGKDD dissertation awards recognize outstanding work done by graduate students in the areas of data science, machine learning and data mining.
2017 SIGKDD Doctoral Dissertation Award
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
Nomination Deadline: April 30, 2017
This annual award by ACM SIGKDD will recognize excellent research by doctoral candidates in the field of data science, data mining and knowledge discovery. The KDD Doctoral Dissertation Award winner and up to two runners-up will be recognized at the KDD conference, and their dissertations will have the opportunity to be published on the KDD Web site (http://www.kdd.org). The award winner will receive a plaque, a check for $2,500. The award winner will also receive a free registration to attend the KDD conference. The runners-up will receive a plaque at the conference. The winner and runners-up will be invited to present His or her work in a special session at the KDD conference.
1. Dissertations of a doctoral candidate must be nominated by their primary Ph.D. advisors. Each Ph.D. advisor can only nominate one dissertation.
(Note: This is a change from previous years’ policy that each department can only nominate one student).
2. The doctoral candidate must have successfully defended the nominated dissertation, and the dissertation must have been accepted by the candidate’s academic unit before the submission deadline. The dissertation defense must not have taken place prior to January 1st, 2016.
3. Submissions must be received by the submission deadline (see below).
4. A dissertation can be nominated for both the SIGKDD Doctoral Dissertation Award and the ACM Doctoral Dissertation Award.
Submission Deadline: April 30, 2017.
Notification of Awards: June 30, 2017.
Award Presentation at KDD 2017: August 13-17, 2017, Halifax, Nova Scotia - Canada.
All nomination materials must be submitted electronically to:
Please use “SIGKDD DDA Nomination” in your subject line.
All nomination materials must be in English. PDF format is preferred for all materials. Late submissions will not be accepted. A nomination must include:
- A nomination letter, written by the dissertation advisor of the candidate. This letter must include full contact information for both the advisor and the nominee as well as a one- or two-page summary of the significance of the dissertation.
- One PDF copy of the doctoral dissertation.
- Optionally, the nomination may include up to two supporting letters from other individuals, discussing the significance of the dissertation.
- For dissertations selected as award recipient, a copyright transfer form signed by the candidate is required giving permission for the dissertation to appear on KDD.org Web site (but if the nomination is also being submitted for the ACM Doctoral Dissertation Award, only one form needs to be signed). See: https://www.acm.org/binaries/content/assets/publications/copyreleaseproc-8-16.pd.
Additional information is available at:http://www.kdd.org/calls/view/call-for-nominations-2017-sigkdd-doctoral-dissertation-award
Please direct questions to the Award Committee Chair:
Tanya Berger-Wolf at firstname.lastname@example.org